Dangers and Barfing | Dallas Dog Photographer

I knew the title would get your attention!

A couple of weeks ago I was teaching some photographers about dog handling and I was talking about how to make their photo studios dog safe. One of several things I mentioned was keeping things that are toxic  to dogs out of their studios. None of them knew about Xylitol. Xylitol is a non-sugar sweetener used in gum, candy and baked goods. It can be deadly to dogs. As a matter of fact, you have a very short time to get your dog to vomit and get them to the vet. In as little a 15 minutes there is a dramatic drop in blood sugar and with higher doses of Xylitol (more than 3 sticks of gum) liver damage can occur.

So how do you get a dog to vomit? (Booker over there is reacting to that question.) You use 3% hydrogen peroxide. One teaspoon full per 10 pounds of dog. This has never worked for me. My vet made suggestions on how to make the peroxide more effective. She suggested letting my dog drink water afterward and the peroxide should then be more active in the dog’s gut. If that doesn’t work, take the dog for a walk and get the dog’s body (and stomach) moving around. That sloshing around of the peroxide and water should very shortly yield the desired results. I accidentally tried this on my dog Sophie. She’d eaten something she shouldn’t have. I’d given her peroxide and water and was driving her to the vet. She barfed on the way. I guess that motion part really works!

  • Angela - September 20, 2010 - 8:39 am

    Unfortunately, I have direct experience with this Xylitol / vomiting adventure. I foster dogs for a local rescue and one of my fosters ate 1/2 a pack of sugar-free gum the NIGHT BEFORE he was to go to his new home. (He is just fine now!)

    My vet recommended that I mix the 3% Hydrogen Peroxide 50/50 with water, then load it into a big syringe. Your vet can give you this syringe. It doesn’t have a needle and will hold a lot of liquid. (Pharmacies also give these to parents to administer liquid medicines). Squirt the whole concoction down their throat.

    I can also attest to the “movement” helping. My little foster dog was dancing around – he was a really happy dog and wanted to play. After he barfed, he resumed his happy dancing – silly dog.